Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall Trends live from Campus

I've been wanting to write this up since my first day of class two weeks ago. But, like any fashion expert, I had to make sure all my first-day assumptions about University fashion were true (they were). So here are some general observations about fashion on campus and some fall trends that just happen to coincide with what I've seen.
The first thing I've noticed is that most students dress up for class. There are people from all over the world that come to study in Ottawa, and they bring with them fashion trends from their city, province, or country. It is a whole lot different from high school, where the basic jeans and t-shirt was the unofficial uniform. There are, of course, the people who wear sweats and flip-flops to class, but I'm guessing that's because they live on-campus and only have the one class that day (or because it's Friday, in which case dressing down is fine).
Now let's get down to the specifics. Sure, I've seen everything from jeans to skirts to dresses, but there are a few items that have been popping up more than others. First, the leather (or fake leather) jackets. These come in a variety of different colours, but most people stick with black or brown to get the most use out of it. They are usually short and light, with interesting details like studded or zipped pockets.
Next, I've seen an outbreak of scarves as the main accessory (especially since last week was a little chilly). These come in many different styles, weights, lengths, colours, and patterns. They can be worn many different ways and instantly dress up the jeans and t-shirt look from high school. Plus, they're a major trend for fall!
Even though it's not quite fall yet (or winter), I've already seen (and worn myself) all different kinds of boots. I know what you're thinking: boots are for winter!!! Why are people already wearing them??? They are an accessory. I mentioned this in my last post: the shoes you put on when you leave your house are the same shoes that you wear all day. They have to work with your outfit. I've seen ankle boots, heels, knee-highs, and even Uggs (which I think it's still too early for). Again, they come in different styles and colours. To touch in with the trends, riding boots are in fashion this fall.
To note some other fall trends (that I've seen here and there), plaid is still in style. Again, there are numerous styles and colours available, from cozy laid-back flannels to crisp, preppy collars. Also, blazers are still a major trend. They are good for the days when it's not cold enough for a jacket.
What did I wear for my first day of class? I paired dark denim flare jeans with a plain white t-shirt, and accessorized with a grey blazer, green water-coloured scarf, and black shoes. My friends called it "University chic." :)
That's all for now, but stay tuned for my next post for outfit ideas featuring all these trends!

No comments:

Post a Comment