Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Plethora of Fashion News

First of all, sorry for the four week hiatus...assignments, studying, midterms all piled up (but they are done for now!). Though during the times when I should have been studying, I was thinking about my next blog post... I have discovered so much about fashion in the past month that I have no idea how to contain my excitement all in one post!!! My take on spring trends will be coming towards the end of this week (even though there's still snow out there), which will also mark my one year anniversary on Blogger!

Websites I have discovered

DailyLook-http://www.dailylook.com/?showhome=true
Clearly I've been missing out on this awesome, awesome website for some time. Basically, there is a different look posted every day (bet you got that much from the name), and the items go on sale for three days for DailyLook members. The easiest part is that you can sign up through Facebook, which allows you to comment on the look, upload photos of your recreations of the looks, and comment on other member's photos. Also, once you sign up (which I haven't...yes, I know I just said it was the easiest thing in the world), you will get personalized looks based on the outfits or articles of clothing that you've liked. Sounds like fun, right?

Modcloth- http://www.modcloth.com/
I've also been missing out on this one. Modcloth is an online store that sells indie, retro, and vintage clothing with a modern update. The main feature of this website is their collection of cute dresses. (There is a separate link dedicated to floral print dresses- need I say more?) They also sell home decor and offer style tips in their blog. Do the designers Betsey Johnson, BB Dakota, Jeffrey Campbell, and Kensie Girl sound familiar? Browse their styles here too!

Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/
You can find absolutely anything on Etsy, from clothes to jewellery, home furnishings, artwork, toys, patterns, cards...the list goes on. The unique part about it: everything is handmade! If you don't know where to start, my friend Amy makes and sells patterns for the cutest crocheted toys called Amigurumis! http://www.etsy.com/shop/amysgurumis?ref=seller_info

Magazine Comparison

The other thing I want to talk about is actually pretty recent. This past week I received both March issues for Seventeen and Fashion. This was the first issue of Fashion that I got and I was so excited to read something new and...Canadian! This magazine differs so much from Seventeen because it is aimed at adult readers, not teens. The trends are shown straight from the runway, which means high fashion comes with a high price. There are no "outfit ideas" or "runway looks for less;" nope, you get the full designer price (with some pieces from H&M). What I do like about Fashion is that there are actual articles about the trends and fashion, not just pictures of clothes and where they are from. It was exciting to read not only about the trends, but the latest in art, movies, music, books, and TV. A special feature that I enjoyed in Seventeen this month introduced the newest members of the Seventeen Style Council- made up of fashion bloggers (just like me! I wish I was chosen, how much fun would that be?) who all have a unique sense of style. Are the trends the same in both magazines? Yes, yes they are, and you will hear more about them soon! For the record, I like Seventeen for the many outfit ideas, and Fashion for the articles that inspire me to write more blog posts! Browse both magazines online:
http://www.fashionmagazine.com/
http://www.seventeen.com/

Stay stylish!

1 comment:

  1. Great post Maria! And thank you for featuring my shop! I'm not even into fashion and your blog is still interesting :D I'm looking forward to your one year "blogiversary" !!

    ReplyDelete